Volunteering at the Cradle of Forestry Historic Site in Pisgah National Forest, NC
Do you enjoy people and a lovely mountain setting?
Spend a few months with us in the heart of the Pisgah National Forest, in western North Carolina, at the Cradle of Forestry historic site, home of the first school of forestry in America.
Available Positions: Cradle Host
Hosts can select a preferred focus area – Customer Service, Caretaking, or Education – which the Cradle Manager will reference in balancing work assignment
Minimum Stay: 15 weeks.
| Volunteer Duties:
- Opening and closing of visitor center and historic buildings.
- Engaging visitors and answering questions about the Cradle, Pisgah National Forest, the Biltmore legacy, and the natural and cultural history of the area, as well as local resources of interest.
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of record keeping and reporting procedures related to fee collection and demographic reporting.
- Assisting with special interpretive events at the Cradle of Forestry.
- Performing other general duties as assigned by the Manager.
- Caretaking only: Performing routine housekeeping, landscaping, and daily light maintenance for overall appearance and functionality of the historic site.
- Education only: Facilitating conservation education activities, indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team as well as assume independent responsibilities.
- Experience working/volunteering in a visitor/nature center setting strongly desired.
- Strong customer service ethic and the ability to interact well with people of all ages, including large groups.
- Ability to communicate basic historical and natural science facts of the site.
- Knowledge of regional natural history, forest ecology, and/or forest management (optional).
- Public speaking ability in an engaging style (optional).
- Ability to walk up to two (2) miles daily and lift twenty (20) pounds.
|Benefits of being a Volunteer:
- Week of on-site training
- Large private RV sites
- Full hook-ups (50 amp e/s/w)
- Optional phone hook-up
- Free laundry on-site
- Limited internet and cell service
- Work with other fun-loving folks
- Group campfires and cookouts
- Uniform shirts provided
- 15% discount in gift shop
- Close to hiking, fishing, biking, golfing, waterfalls and Blue Ridge Parkway
Click HERE to learn more and to apply
For more information about volunteering at the Cradle, please contact:
49 Pisgah Hwy. Ste 4
Pisgah Forest, N.C. 28768