we are excited to announce the opening of our NEW Citizen Science Lab, August 2021!
The Citizen Science Lab will feature two forest scientists, a forester and an ecologist. Visitors will be able to learn about what these scientists do for the forest and what tools they use. You will practice using these tools in our exhibit hall then head outside on our Forest Festival Trail to become a Citizen Scientist and collect real data. Once you’re done collecting data, head back inside to share what you’ve discovered and earn a button for your work. This new exhibit hall addition is just the 1st phase of upgrades and new scientists that we plan to introduce over the next few years.
Watch the Cradle of Forestry Video Series: What is a BioBlitz?
Stephanie and Christy explain what a BioBlitz is, what you need to do one, and show you how to get started. You can bioblitz at the Cradle of Forestry or where ever you are outside exploring nature this year! Use the free iNaturalist app or the Seek app to take photos of living things and they can help ID what you find!
Citizen Science Saturdays
Want to get involved with Citizen Science at home? Check out these downloadable guides with information about citizen science projects and how you can get involved.
- Project Squirrel: Download educational guide about Project Squirrel and squirrel themed info and activity.
- World Migratory Bird Day: Download educational guide about World Migratory Bird Day (May 9th, but you can use any day of the year).
- Observation Skills: Download educational guide about practicing your observation skills to become a better Citizen Scientist! There are fun activities and recommended CS projects!
- Recording Skills: Download educational guide about practicing your recording skills to become a better Citizen Scientist! There are fun activities and a recommended CS project!
- Sharing Skills: Download educational guide about practicing your sharing skills to become a better Citizen Scientist!
- Ecologist: Download educational guide about one of the Cradle of Forestry’s Forest Scientist in their New Citizen Science Lab! There is information on what an ecologist studies, an activity and citizen science projects you can join!
- The Water Cycle: Download educational guide about the water cycle. Guide includes information, activities, and links to citizen science projects.
- Pollinators: Download educational guide with information, activities, and citizen science projects!
- Forester: Download educational guide with information, activities and citizen science projects!
For more Citizen Science projects visit SciStarter.Org
Have you visited the Cradle and taken a picture of something amazing you found in the forest? Want to share it?