Join Woodsy Owl’s Curiosity Club!
Help Woodsy Owl in his conservation mission to “lend a hand, care for the land!”
What is it?
Woodsy Owl is the USDA Forest Service’s conservation symbol whose motto is, “Lend a hand, care for the land!”. These nature education programs are designed for children ages 4 to 7 with an accompanying caregiver. Programs run weekly on Wednesday and Thursdays between June 12 and August 8. Programs are from 10:30am to 12:00pm and invite children to explore the nature world with their trusted caregiver and the guidance of a Cradle naturalist. Come to one or all eight programs, great for families vacationing in the Blue Ridge mountains this summer!
We suggest that children wear closed-toe shoes. Pre-registration is required. Please call 828-877-3130, or register in person at the Cradle of Forestry.
- Each Wednesday or Thursday an outdoor-oriented activity explores a different forest related theme. Designed to engage 4-7 year olds in the natural world around them, programs include reading a story, activities, games, and a craft.
- Thursdays are perfect for parents who have multiple children old enough for Woodsy and Junior Forester (for ages 8 to 12) programs.
- Blends investigation and creativity. The program starts in our Forest Discovery classroom and heads outside for investigation and play.
- Each child leaves with the colorful book, Woodsy’s ABCs, a Woodsy pin and a craft they create; repeat children receive other Woodsy giveaways.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult. The program costs $5 per child and $3 for accompanying adults. Accompanying adults are free with a Friends of the Cradle Season Pass, Golden Age or America the Beautiful passes.
2019 Program Schedule:
Wednesday & Thursdays from 10:30am to 12:00pm
June 12 & 13: Camping Out
June 19 & 20: Busy Pollinators
June 26 & 27: Growing Gardens
July 10 & 11: The Gruffalo
July 17 & 18: Watery World
July 24 & 25: Nature’s Recyclers
July 31 & Aug.1: We Speak for the Trees
August 7 & 8: Smokey Bear’s ABCs