Join Woodsy Owl’s Curiosity Club!
Help Woodsy Owl in his conservation mission to “lend a hand, care for the land!”
What is it?
Woodsy Owl is the USDA Forest Service’s conservation symbol whose motto is, “Lend a hand, care for the land!”. These nature education programs are designed for children ages 4 to 7 with an accompanying caregiver. Programs run weekly on Wednesdays and Thursdays between June 17 and August 6. Programs are from 10:30am to 12:00pm and invite children to explore the nature world with their trusted caregiver and the guidance of a Cradle naturalist. Come to one or all eight programs, great for families vacationing in the Blue Ridge mountains this summer!
We suggest that children wear closed-toe shoes. Pre-registration is required online.
- Each Wednesday or Thursday an outdoor-oriented activity explores a different forest related theme. Designed to engage children ages 4-7 in the natural world, programs include reading a story, activities, games, and a craft.
- Thursdays are perfect for parents who have multiple children old enough for Woodsy and Junior Forester (for ages 8 to 12) programs.
- Blends investigation and creativity. The program starts in our Forest Discovery classroom and heads outside for investigation and play.
- Each child leaves with the colorful book, Woodsy’s ABCs and a craft they create.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult. The program costs $5 per child and $3 for accompanying adults.
2020 Program Schedule:
June 17 & 18 Your Big Backyard
June 24 & 25 Creatures of the Night: Owls
July 1 & 2 Happy Citizen Scientists
July 8 & 9 The Ants Go Marching
July 15 & 16 Slimy & Scaly Creatures
July 22 & 23 Navigation: Get Your Bearings
July 29 & 30 Busy Squirrels!
August 5 & 6 Forest Fairy Tales